Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Small Flower Doily (my first written doily pattern)


This is my first ever written pattern for a doily!

I did sketch a few doily symbol charts in the past, but my goal is to learn how to write instructions as well. 

When one is learning, a good idea is to start with a small and easy project because a big one can be too overwhelming and discourage the learner. Don’t you agree? 







So I started with a small doily (only seven rounds), which involved basic stitches such as single crochet, double crochet, slip stitch, and of course chains.

The design is not intricate at all, but as I said this is my learning attempt. I do hope to be able to come up with more elaborate doily designs in the future.

I used size ten crochet thread and size 5 Boy’s steel hook.

The doily measures 5 inches in diameter.









Ch 12, join with sl st into ring.



Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), dc in ring, ch 2, *2 dc in ring, ch 2* 9 times, join with sl st into 3rd ch of beg ch-3. (10 dc-2 groups, 10 ch-2 spaces)



Round 2: Sl st to next ch-2 space, ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), dc in same space, ch 3, *3 dc in next ch-2 space, ch 3* around, join with sl st into 3rd ch of beg ch-3. (10 dc-3 groups, 10 ch-3 spaces)



Round 3: Sl st to next ch-3 space, (ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) all in same space, ch 2, *(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) all in next ch-3 space, ch 2* around, join with sl st into 3rd ch of beg ch-3. (20 dc-2 groups, 20 ch-2 spaces)



Round 4: Sl st to next ch-2 space, (ch 3, 2 dc) in same space, ch 3, *3 dc in next ch-2 space, ch 3* around, join with sl st into 3rd ch of beg ch-3. (20 dc-3 groups, 20 ch-3 spaces)



Round 5: Ch 3, 2 dc in same st as joining, ch 3, sc in next ch-3 space, ch 3, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next dc,  skip next ch-3 space, *3 dc in next dc, ch 3, sc in next ch-3 space, ch 3, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next dc, skip next ch-3 space* 9 times, join with sl st into 3rd ch of beg ch-3. (20 dc-3 groups, 20 ch-3 spaces)



Round 6: Ch 3, 2 dc in space between 2 dc-3 groups of previous round, ch 5, sc in next sc, ch 5, *3 dc in space between next 3rd and 4th dc (in between next 2 dc-3 groups), ch 5, sc in next sc, ch 5* around, join with sl st into 3rd ch of beg ch-3.



Round 7: Ch 3, 2 dc in same st as joining, ch 3, skip next dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 3, sc in next sc, ch 3, *3 dc in next dc, ch 3, skip next dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 3, sc in next sc, ch 3* around,  join with sl st into 3rd ch of beg ch-3. (20 dc-3 groups, 30 ch-3 spaces)



Fasten off. Block. 

I'm linking to
Home Sweet Home Friday @The Charm of Home,
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home,
 
Link Your Stuff @ Annamarie's Haakblog

24 comments:

  1. Hello Olga, What a very pretty doily.. Thanks for sharing the pattern. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a cute little doily ! And your instructions are perfect ! Congrats on first doily pattern!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely pattern, thanks so much.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Olga! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful pattern ... I will be trying this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ольга, красивая и не сложная салфетка, но я, к сожалению, не понимаю по английски и смогу связать такую только по образцу.

    ReplyDelete
  7. muy bonito!!un besito.maria:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful and certainly doesn't look like a first! :D Thanks for sharing it with us...
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing. Very beautiful . Karie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your patterns keep me busy! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey super, what a sweet little doily!! ♥ Thanks for the pattern :-))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol I think I did it.. I struggled a little bit not because of your pattern cause I don't read them well.. It's a lovely little piece thank you for sharing your sweet pattern with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love your patterns!! They are so easy to follow! Thank you so much :) Making the Lacy blanket and hat next!! Can't wait to start them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for writing and sharing your pattern
    Very easy to nderstand

    ReplyDelete
  15. must be I'm not following it right, because I'm having problems. :( there is no ch2 sp in round 4 it says ch 3. hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right, there is not ch-2 space. It's a mistake I made. It should be ch-3.
      I'm going to change that in the pattern right away. Thank you for letting me know. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  16. Hi Olga,
    Im planning to make this today. Please confirm if the pattern has been changed as per above in Round 4 as it still says "Sl st to next ch-2 space,"

    Thanks
    Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Making this right now! It's fun!
    I think there might be a correction needed for Round 2-- It reads:
    Round 2: Sl st to next ch-2 space, ch 3, dc in same space, *ch 3, 3 dc in next ch-2 space* 9 times, ch 3, join with sl st into 3rd ch of beg ch-3.
    I think it should say: Sl st to next ch-2 space, ch 3, 2dc in same sp... so each ch-sp has 3 dc, right?
    Thanks--this is a cute and fun pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been crocheting for over 30 years and just made my first doily. They are so intricate and lacy, I had it in my head they would be very hard to do, as well as time consuming. I made the Dahlia doily and it came out perfect. Who knew?? This one looks even easier, and I intend to make several and join them into what I hope will be some really pretty lace curtains. Thanks for posting these patterns. I love your work!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Help! Round 6 says 3dc between 3rd and
    4th dc, I see NO 4th dc anywhere in previous round! Please explain what I am missing. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda,

      If you look at Round 5, the instructions between **, there are 3 dc in the beginning, and then 3 dc at the end, so basically in Round 5 you will have two dc-3 groups next to each other. Then in Round 6, 3 dc in space between 4th and 5th dc, would basically be the space between those two groups of dc-3.
      You can even see it from the pictures, especially the second one.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete